"Increasingly, due to internationalisation and migration, people are being confronted with cultural diversity and intercultural challenges. My research looks at the impacts of culture and cultures on organisations and people in work contexts. The topics are intercultural learning and skills development, the intercultural transfer of organisational practices, the creativity of bi-cultural people and the intercultural integration of migrants in organisations. One thing I am particularly interested in is how people with different cultural backgrounds can shape their intercultural relationships constructively. What can people learn from and through the fact of being culturally different, and how? How can they exploit those differences as strengths and combine them complementarily? In the foreground, this interdisciplinary research with my team from the chair and European colleagues looks at intercultural processes of learning, development and negotiation through interactions, and at how those processes work in society."
To what extent should enterprises be socially committed?
As part of the series '10 minutes of sociology', Professor Christoph Barmeyer talks about corporate social responsibility and cites examples of soft laws which could go wrong in a different national context. (Video in german)
More on the research
Professor Barmeyer occupies himself in empirical case studies with the role of constructive inter-culturality in organisations. The emphasis in terms of cultural space is on Europe, in particular France, but also Québec.
- Barmeyer, C. (2020): Intercultural Complementarity in Organisations: Reference Framework, Case Histories and Facilitating Factors. In: Giessen, H.W. & Rink, C. (ed.): Migration, Diversity and Cultural Identities. Berlin, J.B. Metzler, 37-62. (online)
- Barmeyer, C./Davoine,E./Stokes, P. (2019): When the ‘well-oiled machine’ meets the ‘pyramid of people:’ Role perceptions and hybrid working practices of middle managers in a binational organization – ARTE. In: International Journal of Cross Cultural Management, 19 (3) 251-272. (online)
- Barmeyer, C./Mayrhofer, U./Würfl, K. (2019): Informal information flows in organizations: The role of the Italian coffee break. In: International Business Review, 28 (4), 796-801. (online)
- Barmeyer, C./Bausch, M./Moncayo, D. (2019): Cross-cultural management research: Topics, paradigms, and methods - A journal based longitudinal analysis between 2001 and 2018. In: International Journal of Cross Cultural Management, 2019, 19 (2), 218–244. (online)
- Barmeyer, Christoph/Franklin, Peter: Intercultural Management. A Case-Based Approach to Achieving Complementarity and Synergy. Palgrave, 2016. Excerpt.